Widgets Magazine

Militant killed, Youth dies in Army Firing during operation

Last Modified Thursday, 12 July 2018 (12:07 IST)
Srinagar:A militant, suspected to be a foreigner, was killed on Thursday in the ongoing operation in the woods in the frontier district of Kupwara.On Wednesday, a soldier was martyred and another injured in Kupwara, official sources said.
With the first light this morning, security forces resumed search operation in Kandi forest in against militants hiding there. A fresh contact was established and in the ensuing encounter, a militant, believed to be a foreigner, was killed.
Yesterday, two soldiers were injured when militants hiding in the forest opened fire on a search party. Later, one of the injured soldier succumbed while another has been admitted to Drugmulla Army hospital.
Sources told UNI that massive search operation was going on in the forest as reports said two to three more militants are still hiding there.Meanwhile, a massive Search and Destroy (S&D) operation launched by security forces in the woods in the north Kashmir district of Bandipora has been continuing for the past few days, sources said.
They said troops of Army and other security agencies have launched a joint S&D operation in the vast dense fast in Bandipora following a tip off about the presence of militants and their hideouts. The operation was started in Kotosatri forest, they added. 
Intelligence reports were received about the presence of militants and their hideout in the forest in Bandipora which they are using during winter when there is snowfall. 
The operation is to destroy the hideouts so that militants could not use them during the harsh winter, they said, adding that similar operation was also launched last year also during which several underground hideouts were smashed. They said the operation will continue from different direction till the entire forest is covered. However, so far no hideout has been found, they said.(UNI)
Restrictions in Kupwara after youth dies in Army firing
Srinagar:Authorities on Thursday imposed restrictions in most parts of Kupwara district, where a youth was killed when the Army opened fire to disperse demonstrators, pelting stones last night.
However, a defence ministry spokesman said the Army opened fire in self defence after  a mob of 40 to 50 people pelted stones on a patrol party in which five soldiers were injured.
Official sources told UNI that district administration imposed restrictions under Section 144 CrPC in most parts of the north Kashmir district since early this morning to prevent fresh clashes.
However, situation in some areas, including Trehgam, Chowkibal and Kupwara town, was entirely different. Additional security forces and state personnel deployed in these areas were directing people to remain indoor as curfew has been imposed. People coming from other areas were also sent back.
The authorities have ordered closure of educational institutions, apprehending trouble as the situation was very tense after the death of a youth.

Official sources said that some demonstrators pelted stones on an Army patrol at village Banpora, Trehgam on Kupwara-Chowkibal road last night. However, the Army personnel opened fire in which two people, including a shopkeeper Khalid Gaffar Malik, was critically wounded.

The injured was immediately rushed to Kupwara hospital where he was declared brought dead. Another injured has been admitted to hospital. This was the first civilian killings in Kupwara this year when dozens of youths were killed in south and central Kashmir in security force action.
Meanwhile, defence ministry spokesman, in a statement, said a mob of 30-40 youth resorted to heavy stone pelting at the Army's highway domination patrol located at Trehgam on Wednesday at around 2000 hrs as an Army convoy was passing through the area. The patrol verbally cautioned the stone-pelters and, thereafter, fired two blank rounds in air to disperse the violent crowd. 
However, he said, the mob didn't relent and stone pelting intensified endangering the safety of patrol. During the stone pelting , five soldiers sustained injuries. The patrol, finally resorted to controlled fire at the aggressive mob in self defence and continued with their task. Even earlier during the day on Wednesday, stone pelters had resorted to stone pelting at military vehicles at Trehgam and Kralpora, he said.(UNI)
Widgets Magazine