Widgets Magazine

NDA govt withdraws Haj subsidy for pilgrims

Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 January 2018 (18:30 IST)
New Delhi: In a major policy decision, the government on Tuesday scrapped subsidy for Haj pilgrims.The decision to abolish comes day after government allowed Muslim women, above the age of 45, to go on Haj without male guardian, in a group of at least four.Announcing this here said the Haj subsidy funds will be used for educational empowerment of girls and women of minority community.


Stating that the government believed in empowerment without appeasement, the Minister said “development with dignity is what we believe in.” He said despite the subsidy withdrawal, a record number of 1.75 lakh Muslims will undertake the pilgrimage this year. Mr Naqvi said the withdrawal of subsidy however, won’t affect the cost of travel of Haj pilgrims.The Ministry of Minority Affairs had, last year, constituted a committee to review the existing Haj policy and suggest a framework for a new Haj policy for 2018-22.(UNI)
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine