Widgets Magazine

Restrictions extended to entire Srinagar on Burhan's death anniversary

Last Modified Saturday, 8 July 2017 (11:48 IST)
Srinagar: Restrictions have been extended to the entire Srinagar as a precautionary measure to prevent any law and order problem today, where separatists have given a strike call on the first death anniversary of (HM) commander Burhan Wani. Officials told UNI that restrictions imposed in areas falling under five police stations of Nowhatta, MR Gunj, Rainawari, Khanyar and Safakadal in Shehar-e-Khaas (SeK) and downtown Srinagar yesterday, have been extended to the entire district.

Both the factions of (HC) and the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) had called for a strike today on the death anniversary of Burhan. Killing of Burhan triggered massive clashes, which lasted for over six months and left 100 civilians dead and thousands injured in security force action. About 2500 security force personnel were also injured in these clashes.
 
Even though the authorities claimed that restrictions have been imposed only in Srinagar, the situation was entirely different on the ground as repeated announcements were being made on public address system fitted on vehicles that curfew remained imposed since yesterday in the downtown and the SeK. 'People are requested to remain indoors as curfew restrictions have been imposed,' the announcement said. The state police personnel and security forces, wearing bulletproof jackets, helmets and holding automatic weapons in their hands, have been deployed to strictly implement the restrictions in Srinagar.
 
The entire Nallahmar Road from Khanyar to Qamarwari have been closed for any movement. Main and link roads were closed with barbed wire and by parking bullet vehicles in the middle. People of these areas alleged that they were not allowed to purchase essentials, particularly milk, bread and vegetable by the security forces.

However, the Safa Kadal Road to the S K Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) was through, but only patients and ambulances were being allowed after checking their documents. All gates leading to the historic Jamia Masjid, where no Friday prayers were allowed for the third successive week yesterday, remained closed. Security forces had been deployed in the Jamia Market and outside, preventing people from going inside. (UNI)
Widgets Magazine