Melbourne: Cricket Australia chairman Earl Eddings on Tuesday said that it is unlikely to hold men's T20 World Cup tournament scheduled for October and November this year in Australia.
In another development that took place on Tuesday came in form of Nick Hockley being brought in as Cricket Australia's interim CEO after Kevin Roberts was shown the door with 18 months still left in his contract.
"I would say it is unlikely trying to get (teams from) 16 countries into Australia when most countries are still going through COVID spiking is unrealistic or very, very difficult," Eddings told reporters during a video conference.
He said Cricket Australia had suggested some alternatives to the International Cricket Council and the tournament fate will be decided by the world governing body in July board meeting.
It's more likely the main income for the Australian summer will be from a tour by India, with cricket boards in both countries working to get agreement from governments to make it possible for the series to go ahead.
Roberts rose to the role of CEO in October 2018 when he succeeded James Sutherland after nearly 18 years in the role.
"Cricket, like all national sports, has been going through a period of significant change and in recent months we have had the added uncertainty delivered by COVID-19," Eddings said.
"The entire cricket community has been affected and difficult decisions have been and will continue to be necessary ? to ensure that cricket at every level is in the best shape it can be now and in the future."
T20 World Cup will not take place this year says Ehsan Mani
Islamabad: PCB chairman Ehsan Mani feels men's T20 World Cup in Australia this year will not take place due to impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Tuesday Earl Eddings, Cricket Australia chairman, said that it would be "unrealistic" and "very, very difficult" to expect the event to go ahead as planned in October-November.
"We have had a lot of discussions and the feeling is it (T20 World Cup) would not be possible this year. ICC has World Cups lined up in 2021 and 2023, so we have a gap year where we can adjust this event," Mani said at a virtual media briefing on Wednesday.
Mani, who also heads the ICC's Finance and Commercial Rights Committee, said, "God forbid if some player(s) falls ill or mishap occurs during the tournament, it will have a big impact and create panic in the cricket world and we can't take that risk."
"If it is played this year they will likely insist it happens in a bio-bubble," he said."I would say it is unlikely ? trying to get (teams from) 16 countries into Australia when most countries are still going through COVID spiking is unrealistic or very, very difficult," Eddings said on Tuesday.
Last week, the International Cricket Council (ICC), after a board meeting, said a decision regarding the tournament will be made next month.
The world body stated that it wants to continue exploring contingency plans for some more time as a call of this magnitude needs to be taken after every possible deliberation.(UNI)