Longest surviving commander of LeT & aide killed in Pulwama encounter

Last Modified Monday, 28 September 2020 (15:43 IST)
Srinagar:Describing the encounter a very big success for security forces, Director General of Police (DGP) Dilbagh Singh on Monday said longest surviving commander of (LeT) and his aide were killed.
Aijaz Ahmad Reshi, who was involved in many militancy related incidents, including Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast in which eight Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were killed at Pampore, had joined militancy long before Burhan Wani of Hizbul Mujahideen(HM), DGP told reporters at Pulwama after the Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) launched Sunday evening at Samboora, Pampore, in Pulwama ended today.
Police chief said the CASO was launched last evening following a tip off about the presence of militants. During the operation an encounter took place, he said operation was suspended due to darkness late Sunday night.
However, when the operation resumed this morning two bodies of militants were recovered.
Later one of the slain militant was identified as  Reshi who was longest surviving militant commander of LeT. 
Reshi was killed alongwith his aide Sajjad Ahmad Sofi, who was recruited by him. However, after the killing of Reshi there will be now be a dip in the recruitment of local youths in militancy. During the past fortnight 15 youths shunned the path of violence and joined mainstream, he said adding this year a total of 24 who had joined militant ranks have returned with the active cooperation of security agencies and family members of these youths.
DGP Singh said Reshi  worked as Over Ground Worker (OGW) in 2015 and joined militancy before Burhan Wani. Wani's killing in an encounter in Anantnag on July 9, 2016 evoked massive protests and clashes in the Kashmir valley.
The police chief said the recovery made today included two AK-47 riffles, two magazines, some rounds of ammunition, and incriminating material from the slain militants. 

CASO ends in Pulwama, 2 LeT militants killed, soldier injured
Srinagar: The Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) concluded after no militant was found on Monday in south Kashmir district of Pulwama, where two Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) activists were killed and a soldier injured in the encounter which ensued last evening.
Meanwhile, mobile internet service remained suspended in Pulwama district since last evening badly hitting students who had to appear on-line examination today.
A police spokesman said on a tip-off about the presence of militants last evening,  Special Operations Group (SOG) of J&K police, Rashtriya Rifles (RR)and CRPF launched a CASO at Samboora Pampore in Awantipora on Sunday evening.
However, he said when security forces were moving towards a particular area, militants hiding there, fired at them with automatic weapons. "The security forces retaliated, ensuing in an encounter," he said.
 Spokesman said two militants were killed in the operation adding due to darkness operation was suspended late last night. However, additional security forces were deployed in the entire area to foil any attempt by militants to escape. Security forces also used search lights to keep a strict vigil around the area where militants were hiding.
This morning with the first light security forces resumed the CASO, official sources told UNI today. A defence ministry spokesman said this afternoon that operation concluded after two ak rifles with four magazines, ten rounds of ammunition and two pouches and other items were recovered during the joint operation.(UNI)