Play Holi, but with caution:Dermatologist

Last Modified Thursday, 21 March 2019 (07:05 IST)
Kolkata:Before stepping out on March 21 to rent the air with burst of colours,  take a step back and think--are you causing more harm in that moment of  frenzy and frolic, not just to your own skin but that of your companion  as well.
'Blatant use of inexpensive over-the-counter  artificial colours which are prepared with the help of chemical solvents  and toxic agents like lead oxide, mercury sulphite and copper sulphate  can cause minor to severe damage to your skin, eyes, lungs, liver and  kidneys,' Dr Aritra Sarkar, Consultant Dermatologist, Medica  Superspeciality Hospital today warned.
While most of us  like the idea of heading out to play with colours, it comes with  its own set of issues like dry and frizzy hair, pimples and breakouts,  the physician said.'There are toxic like lead,  copper sulphate, aluminium bromide, zinc, asbestos and mercury (to name a  few) that are used to manufacture coloured powders are extremely  harmful. They can lead to temporary blindness, asthma, renal problems  and in the case of mercury sulphite (used to make the red colour), even  causes skin cancer. 

It may cause allergic contact dermatitis over skin  and allergic reaction to eye due to presence of harmful chemicals. There  may be red bumpy itchy skin rashes on and around exposed area,' he  cautioned.They contain chemicals, shiny particles of mica  and even lead, which not only irritates the skin, but collects on the  scalp and gets deposited in the nails too,' Dr Sarkar further explained.So does it mean no one will enjoy with colours, they will, definitely, yet with some adequate safety measures for the skin.
Few  awareness and cautious approach will make us enjoy Holi hassle free. It  is not just the adults. Even children are vulnerable while playing with  colours. It is best to use home-made or natural colours for everybody  but especially for children. Organic colours that are also eco-friendly  are safer than any chemical artificial colours.
'Wet colours  can be more harmful especially for young children, as they penetrate the  skin more deeply. We must keep plenty of water nearby. In case of  irritation to eye or skin we should wash the area gently and thoroughly  with water. One should wear loose cotton clothes and cover the body as  much as possible. It is the duty of parents to help their wards maintain a  safe distance from harmful chemicals present in colours and device  methods to enjoy more aesthetically and organically,' the specialist  said.(UNI)
Read more on : Holi Chemicals Colors