In a media statement, the IPL said the decision was ‘unanimously’ taken by the tournament’s Governing Council along with the top brass of the BCCI.
“The BCCI does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL. This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and well-being of all the stakeholders in mind,” the cash-rich league said in a statement.
“These are difficult times, especially in India and while we have tried to bring in some positivity and cheer, however, it is imperative that the tournament is now suspended and everyone goes back to their families and loved ones in these trying times.
The BCCI will do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all the participants in IPL 2021,” it added.
Earlier on Monday, Chennai Super Kings bowling coach L Balaji along with Kolkata Knight Riders bowlers Sandeep Warrier and Varun Chakravarthy had also tested positive for the virus.
The spread of infections had also led to postponement of two IPL matches earlier.
The tournament began on April 9 and ran smoothly for about a month before KKR’s COVID-19 cases caused the problem on Monday.
India recorded over 3.57 lakh new covid-19 cases in the 24 hours ending 0800 hrs on Tuesday, taking the total infections past the 2 crore mark.