UP govt sent notices to 53 accused to recover property loss worth 23 Lakhs

Last Modified Thursday, 13 February 2020 (17:56 IST)
Muzaffarnagar:The district administration has identified 53 accused to recover losses amounting to around Rs 23 lakhs occurred from the of public property during protests in December last year against newly enacted citizenship law.
Official sources here on Thursday informed that unruly elements responsible for December 20 violence have been identified through the CCTV footage and various other means.
 
Notices have been sent to 53 accused to compensate for the loss of government property, amounting Rs 23.41 lakhs, sources said.
 
Additional District Magistrate (ADM) Amit Singh, who is probing the matter, sought information and evidence from the concerned police station in-charges about the accused. Police gave substantial evidence to the ADM against 53, sources said.
 
Civil Lines police station furnished names of 59 accused. Out of these, the names of two accused were mentioned twice. Four among them were found to be minors.
 
Mr Singh said that the assessment of the loss was done by Additional Regional Transport Officer and the police department. A loss of Rs 21.50 lakh occurred from damages to 21 vehicles of police department, rest of the amount was from destruction of other properties.
 
Tehsildar (Sadar) was assigned to recover the damages from the accused, the ADM added.(UNI)