The death toll of Jawans reached 24 in Naxalite attack in Sukma

Last Updated: Sunday, 4 April 2021 (23:03 IST)
Bijapur: The death toll of Indian martyrs have surged from 5 to 24 after a day after 4-hour encounter ensued between the police and Naxalites
At least five security personnel killed and 30 others were injured on Saturday in the encounter with Naxals in a forest along the border between and districts in Chhattisgarh.
 
As per the latest report, 24 police personnel have so far succumbed to injury including the five martyred during the encounter on Saturday while three security personnel have been reported missing. One body of the Naxal was found from the encounter site, the officials in the security set up said here on Sunday.
 
Search parties have been sent to the encounter site to look for the missing personnel this morning, the officials added.The operation is still underway and choppers have been sent to trace the missing jawans, Chattishgarh Additional Director General of Police D M Awasti said as quoted by a media report.The ADG said bodies of the security personnel have been cited.

15 Naxalites neutralized claims security forces
Security sources have confirmed that the Maoists have also suffered a large causality in the gun battle but the numbers are yet to be ascertained. Normally, " Maoists do not leave their buddies injured or dead after the encounter but the inputs suggest at least 15 Naxalites have been killed in this operation, they further said.

On Saturday, five personnel died and 12 were wounded in the major attack on the combined security force of CRPF, State Police in the Maoist-hit Bastar region.
 
In a second attack on the police forces in 10 days, the ambush was suspected to have been led by Hidma, the notorious People’s Liberation Guerilla Army (PLGA) commander of the outlawed CPI (Maoist). He is believed to have been involved in several major attacks, including the one in 2013 that killed 27, including top state Congress leaders.
Operations against Maoist to continue with more intensity: Amit Shah
In a tweet message, the Union Home Minister Amit Shah said “ I bow down to the sacrifices of our brave security personnel martyred while fighting Maoists in Chhattisgarh. Nation will never forget their valor. My condolences are with their families. We will continue our fight against these enemies of peace & progress. May injured recovered soon.

Meanwhile,Union Home Minister Amit Shah n Sunday morning spoke to Chhattishgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel and took the stock of the situation.
 
Mr Shah has also cut short his poll campaign in Assam and is returning to Delhi in wake of the attack.
 
Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday evening reviewed the security situation.The review meeting held at Home Minister's residence, was attended by Home Secretary, Intelligence Bureau Chief, senior officials of the Union Home Ministry and CRPF.
 
Apart from taking stock of the ground situations in the Chhattisgarh, the further strategy to recalibrate the Operation against Maoist was deliberated upon after the Home Minister was briefed about the turn of events that led to left-wing extremists successfully managed to lay an ambush leading to high casualties of personnel of security forces, sources in the security set up said.
 
Mr Shah also enquired about those personnel who sustained injuries during the operation and asked the senior officials to ensure that best possible medical assistance is provided to them, the officials said.

Later talking to the media in Guwahati, Shah said, a befitting reply would be given to the Naxal forces in Chhattisgarh at an appropriate time. “As far as the numbers are concerned, both sides have suffered losses and exact casualty figures cannot be ascertained immediately,” he added.
 
“Our security men have lost their lives, we will not tolerate this bloodshed and a befitting reply will be given at an appropriate time,” Mr Shah said.(UNI)