IPL 2021: Pat Cummins donates USD 50,000 to help India in fight against COVID-19

Last Updated: Monday, 26 April 2021 (19:38 IST)
New Delhi: In a touching gesture, Australian and Kolkata Knight Riders pacer on Monday announced a USD 50,000 donation towards PM CARES Fund, ‘specifically’ to purchase oxygen supplies for India’s ravaged hospitals.

The pacer also backed the to continue, saying that he has been ‘advised’ that the Indian government views it ‘as few hours of joy’ in a difficult time.
 
“There has been quite a bit of discussion over here as to whether it is appropriate for the IPL to continue while Covid-19 infection rates remain high.
 
I’m advised that the Indian government is of the view that playing the IPL while the population is in lockdown provides a few hours of joy and respite each day at an otherwise difficult time for the country,” Cummins said in his statement on Twitter.
 
“As players, we are privileged to have a platform that allows us to reach millions of people that we can use for good. With that in mind, I have made a contribution to the ‘PM Cares Fund,’ specifically to purchase oxygen supplies for India’s hospitals,” he added.
 
Cummins - the first cricketer playing in this year’s IPL to publicly announce such a contribution also urged other top players to do the same as the country battles a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
 
“I encourage my fellow IPL players - and anyone around else the world who has been touched by India’s passion and generosity - to contribute. I will kick it off with $50,000,” he said.
 
“At times like this it is easy to feel helpless. I’ve certainly felt that of late. But I hope by making this public appeal we can all channel our emotions into action that will bring light into people’s lives. I know my donation isn’t much in the grand scheme of things, but I hope it will make a difference to someone,” he added.
 
India recorded over 3.53 lakh cases on Monday, the highest across the world since the pandemic began last year.
 
With the second wave of the pandemic ravaging India, and cases hitting new peaks by the day, there is mounting fear among the Australian cricket contingent featuring in the IPL 2021.
 
Australian cricketers Adam Zampa and Kane Richardson have decided to opt out from the remainder of the ongoing citing personal reasons, the franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore confirmed on Monday.
 
The Australian pair join countryman and Rajasthan Royals pacer Andrew Tye, who left midway from the league as he feared getting “locked out” of his own country in the wake of a COVID-19 surge in India. (UNI)